Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Disaster

In the space of about 18 hours, I've drifted into bizarro world. I shouldn't be surprised by what's happened with this election, since I sort of laid it out in previous posts. But I seriously just thought it was the paranoid, conspiracy-believing part of my brain that was conjuring up such fantasies. But I hate it when my paranoia becomes reality. The big turnout was really a myth if really ends up as the 112-115M instead of the hoped for 120+M. The young voters didn't come through. The buzz in the air was really just a big historic fart.

Below are my ramblings on the sorry state of 11/3/04. Most of them are likely to be angry, appropriate for Kerry supporters this morning. They need to be vented. In a few days, few weeks, few months, few years, never, I may get over it, but for now, it is what it is.

--I cannot help but think that something rotten has happened with the vote count. Everything seemed to trend in Kerry's favor, but the popular vote count has Bush several million ahead. I just find this hard to believe. Maybe I should just wake up and see that's it a combination of fraud and American stupidity.

--The talking heads I see on tv are saying that the vote came down to "moral values" and, simply put, Bush has them and Kerry doesn't. I just find something wrong with Bush supporters voting on "moral values" when Bush has overseen, and seems to be in full support of, unnecessary wars that have killed and injured tens of thousands; a million fellow Americans falling into poverty during his tenure; a massive increase of the federal debt that falls onto our children; a lack of decent healthcare that tens of millions of Americans can afford; tax legislation that benefits the wealthy much more than the poor; declining wages and less people participating in the work force and a net loss of jobs. I guess the "moral values" end at banning abortion and hating gays.

--Thinking we're going to get Ohio through provisional/absentee ballots is a pipe dream. We know how this is going to go. The right has the Presidency, both houses of Congress, the courts, and the media. We can't win. I was watching NBC and they've had Ohio as red for some time. I applaud the Kerry campaign for continuing the fight. He needs to do it simply to show that the Democrats will not roll over. But it's over. If the shoe were on the other foot, we, the Democrats with the slight Ohio lead, would be in big trouble.

--As I write this, Kerry just conceded. Well, fuck it all, I'm done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home