Friday, June 25, 2004

The Day After Tomorrow

is Sunday. How stupid is that? No, really, I'm just about to go off on the The Day After Tomorrow film, which I haven't seen. Based on what I've seen for previews, it's probably a decent, albeit not too intelligent, action movie with lots of things being destroyed (your typical summer blockbuster). Hey, I like all kinds of movies for all different reasons, and, in my view, it's not completely fair to compare a movie like this with, say, Schindler's List or Citizen Kane.

Anyway, around the time it came out, I heard on the news they would be talking about this "controversial" new film. When I heard this, I shook my head, because I knew that it was "controversial" because the Bush administration had a problem with it. They believe global warming is a myth, because, well, they have that 1 scientist out of 100 who believes this (and, oh, yeah, their ideology and business interests necessitate debunking global warming, else they'd have to admit they're just planet killers).

I mean, it's a fucking action/adventure/what-if-this-horrible-scenario-happened? movie, for crying out loud. Fiction. Entertainment. It shouldn't be used as a pro or con for scientific theories. It's good for burning 2 hours of your time and eating a tub of popcorn and drinking an oil tanker's worth of soda. Shut your mouths and take an ideological break. And this goes for the activists on the other side handing out leaflets about global warming while people were standing in line.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home