Thursday, February 03, 2005

State of the Union

Did I watch it? No. Would I have watched it if it were a Democrat giving it? No. I'm just not interested in a big speech that glosses over proposed programs with bland promises ("we will fix Social Security," "we will promote freedom and democracy," "we will provide something or other for all," etc.) that people will most likely forget by the next week, no matter who's giving it. Then you have cutaways to show who is clapping, who is standing with their arms folded, who has a diarrhea-type scowl on their face, and, as always, a teary moment when someone who's been through some horrible ordeal raises his arms to the applause and sells his or herself to political opportunism (a "moving moment," as the talking heads will later tell us). Then, afterwards, you have to listen to the media sycophants talk about how his speech was warmly received, how it was the most important speech of his presidency, etc.

The state of the union? I can give you the short answer--it sucks. No President will tell you that. Not even one who is no danger of facing re-election or any sort of legislative opposition.

I would much rather see some sort of British Parliament gathering--you know, that thing you see on C-SPAN where the PM and members of Parliament stand up, deliver some sort of verbal jab, then sit down, either to oohs and aahs or laughter. This sort of thing suggests that the members and PM have a sort of wit and cleverness born in intelligence, a grasp of the issues and procedure, and the ability to even have a chuckle at the whole thing that is politics.

Bush would fail miserably at this, because he possesses none of these qualities. He is witless. He has no grasp on the issues other than a few keywords that he will say over and over. He only chuckles when he's deriding someone or talking about war and death. And, he's a miserable failure at everything--the man couldn't find oil in Texas, for fuck's sake. But, in this country, no one dares point this out. And that sums up the state of this sorry union (I've gone off on a tangent attacking Bush, but it's my blog and I like attacking him).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home